Halloween Movie Night: "The Babadook" (2014)

Last month I got a little bit obsessed with horror movies. Somehow, I've never been a big fan of horror, because of it's meaningless and ridiculous scripts, poor play, cliches, and patterns etc. But thanks to by some mysterious power, I became addicted and watched around 15-20 films just in September. As a result, during the next 7 days, I'm going to post about dark and disturbing scary movies, that I highly recommend watching in the upcoming Halloween night. All films are carefully chosen, beautifully made, fresh and interesting. I really hope you will enjoy each and one of them! 


   "The Babadook" was a major discovery for me. I never watched a horror movie, where the actual monster aka Mr. Babadook would be not the main evil of the story. Surprisingly, but this disturbing film is about parental exhaustion, anxiety, depression, and anger. 
Stephen King said once: Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win. "The Babadook" film shows how hard it may be to keep those monsters sleeping and what a huge impact we all make on our family, friends, kids, and surroundings when those monsters are taking over our personalities. 



"The Babadook" is about tough relationships between single mother Amelia and her little boy Samuel, who is not the easiest kid to handle. The mother works hard, gets no support from the outside, has to handle everything by herself. The son is living in his own hyperactive world full of adventures, tricks, and superheroes. They both struggle a lot, each one of them with their own demons (boy - with those, that might live under his bed and in a wardrobe, mom - with her loneliness, despair and unsupportive sister). 


   Amelia and her son Samuel are two completely opposite characters. She's living in a grey, pale world, there is no place for big fun or joy. She's passive, unamused, exhausted and depersonalized. She's living day in, day out while trying to get her life together and take care of her son, who slowly drinks life out of her. Samuel is also a constant reminder, that her beloved husband (aka Samuel's father) died exactly that day when her son had been born. 
Samuel is just a very active and sometimes unbelievably annoying kid, that needs more love, care, and understanding. 
The mother is getting weaker and weaker, it's hard for her to look after his problematic and special son, but she must protect her child from an unknown evil, that is slowly, but steadily getting into their house...


   Mr. Babadook will come after them. Rumble. Rumble. Rumble. Dook. Dook. Dook. 



   I must highlight, that Jennifer Kent, who actually directed and wrote the script for the film did a perfect job. I don't think that anyone, even from my favorite male directors, could actually show the pain, the exhaustion and limited patience of the mother. I cant understand it fully because I don't have kids yet but I've seen what is enormous mother's power. I also have seen huge mother's pain. 



   Assie Davis and Noah Wiseman did a spectacular play. There wasn't even one little time when I couldn't buy everything I saw on a screen. The roles in 'The Babadook' are written and played so well, that sometimes I had a feeling that I'm watching an actual real thrilling story. The depth, that was created by main actors, is indescribable.


  'The Babadoo" is a definitelly unique horror movie. First of all, it has a beautiful and sometimes even outstanding aesthetics. Every single frame could be an individual piece of art. Second of all is a huge attention to details. Nothing is accidental in this film. The third is a beautiful, dramatic and emotional storyline. The whole team put a huge afford into creating this disturbing, terrifying, dark but very charming and magical film. 


I would highly recommend you to watch "The Babadook'' during Halloween's night or any other day/night when you're in a mood for a high-quality not banal scary film. I promise that it will give you some food for thought and become one of your favorites movies in this genre. 

You can buy "The Babadook" here: iTunes or Google Play
Watch trailer here