Calvary (2014)


This film is like a bottle of good wine: strong, thought-provoking and leaves an aftertaste. I truly wanted to watch it half a year before, but now I know that winter and ending of the year is the best time to finally watch the film.


'Calvary' is a story about an Irish priest, who lives in a small town with it's all little tragedies and stories. He's a good man, with a kind heart and light inner side. Everything goes as it should go to towns like that one: slow, calm and almost without any special events. But one day he hears a confession of man, a terrifying one...
And from this moment small town is a cage, people there - only a group of hyenas, the darkness comes into priests life...


It's a story about one man and his way to his personal Calvary. He will meet people away with stones in their hands, they will burn everything he worked on and damage his faith as hard as possible.
His melancholic daughter, an unlucky suicide maker, is actually his one and only soul mate, his one thread to peace and confidence.


Somehow 'Calvary' is funny from time to time. That's why I really like the film: it's a strange mix of something we cannot avoid and a good-old black humor.


I really opened Brandon Gleeson for myself. He's perfect. I watch him, I believe him, I listen to what he says. Beautiful play.


Good dialogues, some of the quotes need to be noted somewhere...




And look who's here:)


And I really love the views! Stones, water, grass, hills, filmed slowly, so it's possible to enjoy the landscapes and exhale between scenes.







And yes...destiny is actually a choice and acceptance of the way.



Highly recommend watching
9/10

Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. I've heard great things about this film plus, I love Chris O'Dowd and the direction his career is going in super exciting!
    https://whatsusanread.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment