Froth on the Daydream ( L'écume des Jours)


"Boris Vian and Michel Gondry could be twins. Only Gondry could made such a beautiful, adaptation and nobody else. "L'écume des Jours" was written for Gondry and he was waiting to film it for all his life" - I caught myself on this thoughts almost in the beginning of the film.

Trailer: 



And now a bit impressions from the film...

Modern cinematography is full of various cliches: sometimes we can predict film "quality" already from the poster/ trailer/cast. During some time it's harder and harder for me to find something really good and fresh to watch. That's why sometimes I watch again and again my favorite films, or I'm seeking in the huge library of films from XX century, or I'm discovering documentaries and tons of short films. 
Michel Gondry has been always a very special director (we all love "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" or how many times we played over and over again his videos made for Björk?!) and he still makes me believe, that true movie making is not over and there's some place for imagination and creativity.

"Froth on the Daydream" is about true love and true sacrifice. For skeptics: don't be so sure that film,which begins like a fairy tale (and also looks like fairy tale) will be like this till the end.

 

Boris Vian created world full of magic: in "Froth..." people can catch eel in a washbasin, the doorbell moves and looks like a huge beetle and if you want to get married - you have to take a part in a race with some other couple and only the winners can get married. Don't forget about a cute mouse, who lives in your home and when it's totally dark - he makes room a bit lighter with a small mirror and sunbeams.
"Froth on the Daydream" is not a fairy tale. It's a story full of irony of that time (and I think all times!), full of almost unnoticed humor. 


I'm glad that we can see forever young Audrey Tautou with great Romain Duris in "L'écume des Jours", I have to remember about smiling Omar Sy, and... I'm not really sure,who was in charge of all visual effects, including beautiful stop-motion - but this was spectacular, absolutely beautiful and charming.
Great screenplay, great music..The film is full of moments,which really worth tears (so if you're really sensitive  - try to watch it with someone:). 


It's already the end of August and for me, on this moment - "Froth on the Daydream" is the best film in the year.  
It's very hard to write all impressions, all thoughts without spoiling. All I can say - must see! 
Highly recommend film!

10/10



Post a Comment

0 Comments