Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)


Uh, here's the thing: I promised myself to write about this film because I have something to say about it. Of course, only laziest cinemaholic in the world hadn't written about this movie yet, that's why my post will be super short (just like my impression from the film).


'Only Lovers Left Alive' is about a romance between two. They're different, just like places they live in (she lives in exotic Marocco, he - in Detroit), and happily married for many centuries. They finally decided to meet, after some time of living separately, because thirst after beloved ones is extremely painful. But suddenly a little chaos (aka younger sister) appears and brings a bit of destruction in a perfectly-made bohemian vampire's world...


'Only Lovers Left Alive' is a very beautifully made film. When I say 'beautifully' I mean the picture. When I say 'beautifully' I mean a spinning room, in the beginning, a spirit of the East, Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, I mean music, decorations etc. But making a full length was a bad idea. But totally in Jarmusch's style. It could be a great short film or music video, but it's not. The more you expect from the movie - the less you get. I thought, that this film would make me finally love Jim's work. I even wish that! But no, nothing touched my heart...


This film is very (very!) pretentious and very (very!)...thick. 
I really like and truly adore well-written script, with rich dialogues, many links, intellectual conversations etc. But 'Only Lovers...' is made for a very narrow circle of viewers (why so many ads then?) and if you're not familiar with some concepts or at least names - you better to be able to browse while watching. 


This film is 'thick' because lots of dark, lots of East culture (sometimes I thought I can smell some spices or fruit smoke from pipes), lots of sounds. And I like this side of the film.
And Swinton-Hiddleston duo is absolutely posh! Sadly, but 15 minutes with Mia Wasikowska and few minutes with hairy Anton Yelchin didn't make any impression on me.


It's not a story about vampires. 30 minutes is quite enough to forget, that our heroes prefer fresh blood over salad or pasta. But, I say it once again, it's a love story. When I see them - I believe them. Tilda and Tom are gorgeous and I'm not getting tired to write it once again.




What should I add to this horrible review?
You should watch it. Alone, in dark, with a drink in your left/right hand. Perhaps smoking (eating steak or salad/non-gluten stuff;) and definitely alone. And then go to bed, dear reader, because this very late night film shows only how everything is falling apart, but lovers... staying alive.

Post a Comment

0 Comments