'Finding Vivian Maier' (2013)


I really like documentaries. The only problem (and the biggest one) is to find something really valuable in tons of quasi-scientific films, in that huge 'basket' with boring and pretentious films about celebrities and their lives, in the infinite line of movies about boring experiments, live-shows etc. The film I'm going to write about today is one of the most impressive documentaries I've ever seen. 
To write this post I hadn't used even one single frame from the film like I usually do. Here below you may see only the brilliant pictures of the great artist. 
But ok, I'll start from the very beginning...


'Finding Vivian Maier' is an exciting story about one of the most mysterious, extraordinary and eccentric woman. Vivian Meier - an incredibly talented street photographer, was discovered only because all her things, her stuff, her life, her art got exactly into the right hands of John Maloof, a young collector.


Vivian Maier was unknown, unpublished artist, no one could say anything about her. For all the people she was just a...nanny, a mysterious and strange nanny for many kids. She was always taking pictures, but she had never even shown even one of them. In 2009 everything had changed...Her powerful art was finally discovered.


And here I'm gonna stop telling you more about Vivian. It would be not possible to say even one more word about her because I have no rights to ruin the whole mystery.


'Finding Vivian Maier' impressed me so much, that I can't stop thinking about the film. It's haunting me. It's so good, so perfect, so fascinating...Stunning. I know exactly: it was my first, but not the last review of the film.


It's incredibly hard to write about the film. It's the first time, when I literally can't say anything, except those facts, which are written above. Why? Because all magic will disappear. Vivian Maier's story is the most incredible and intriguing. It's drama, it has detective line and it's very disturbing and thought-provoking. And sad. Yes, I believe it's a little bit sad and touching.


Beautifully made film. And books with Vivian's photos instantly are going into my very private wish list.
I highly recommend to watch it right now and finally find Vivian Maier for yourself.


And here are some useful links:
Vivian Maier Photography (official website)
Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work (everything started right here;)
Discover over 100 Maier's works on Vivian Maier Artsy Page

Books:
Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
Vivian Maier: Self-Portraits
Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found
Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows









Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. Just watched this. It is exactly as you said, it's hunting, and I know I'll think about it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment