The Grand Budapest Hotel: Mendl's Pastry


This post will be a bit different comparing to my other posts with recipes and tutorials. First of all Mendl's dessert from 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' are made from choux pastry and I had never-ever try to make that kind of pastry by myself. Second of all this post will be helpful (I hope so:)for those like me, for beginners, who have no idea how to work with that mysterious kind of pastry. And finally the third - this post is different, because basically, I'm not writing a tutorial (everything is perfectly explained in the video below), and only going to leave some tips under photos. 

So, here's what we need:

For the Pastry 
250 g plain flour (1 cup)
250 ml fresh water (1 cup)
~60 g butter 
a pinch of salt
a pinch of sugar (not necessary)

For the Filling
Several pieces of semi-sweet chocolate
3 egg yolks
100 g sugar
2-3 spoons cacao powder
300 g milk
1 tbsp flour
Cornstarch

Alternative Filling:
3 egg yolks
Strongly made espresso (for the coffee cream)
100-150 g sugar
300 milk
2 tbsp flour
Cornstarch for thicken

Hard?
A bit challenging for beginners, but definitely worth to try

And now, a beautiful video from one German baker. It's completely beautiful and it's totally ok to watch it millions of times. Pure magic!




And here are my photos from the process:)




Tip 1: in the video, we can see like the baker mixes eggs with a sifted flour, but I really recommend to add eggs one by one. Only, in this case, one can control how thick the pastry is.
Because if pastry's too soft - flour or cornstarch will help to make it thicker, but it might not grow in the oven at all.




Tip 2: temperature matters. My first courtesans were not very grown. So pay attention to the temperature, otherwise, you'll have cookies:)
Besides, watching little courtesans growing in the oven is a real magic!






Tip 3: buy a really good quality food color. Why? Because of aesthetic matters:))


Closer view on my very first Mendl's pastry:)


Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. Oh wow, when you make it, it looks gorgeous! I would agree, making it look great at the end does count for something! In fact, the whole process of you making it looks really neat and all :) I hope you had fun doing this! I will be baking a lot more in my approaching holiday, and I already have some ideas now...

    Check out my review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/sherlock-holmes-movie-review-2009.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment