Trick or Treat: Meat Pie




Greetings!;) I think that everyone are rushing around and preparing for the Halloween parties: searching for a good costumes, cutting scary and funny faces on a pumpkins, trying to cook something special and so on and so forth.
I thought it will be a good idea to bake a pie from the 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street'. You have to remember Mrs. Lovett's mmm..a very special pies, so I thought that meat pie is an good idea for Helloween. A specially, if you decorate your pie with a...finger made from a dough. My super mission failed a little bit (later I'll tell why), but still I baked a nice, delicious and just simply good meat pie, which can be a good dish on a table.
As a basic recipe, I used a classic chicken pie recipe and added something from my self.

So, we need:

For the pie crust:
2 cups plain flour  (if you want to bake a 'covered' pie - use more)
200 g butter (+ 10 g to grease a baking dish)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of ice-cold water
2 egg

For the filling:
2 chicken fillet (~450-500 g) OR full chiken
1 onion
1-2 carrot
1 glass of milk (~250 ml)
2 bay leaf (can be more or less)
8 pepper peas
spies 

First we have to cook chicken. Cut carrots and onion. Put meat to a saucepan, add onion and carrots, add bay leaf, spices and pepper peas. Fill with water, cook for 20-30 minutes. Meat don't have to be 'well done', because anyway it will cook in an oven later. And our big task is to kepp chicken meat juicy and avoid dry taste. 






While our chiken is cooking, let's prepare a dough. We're doing all the same like with the previous pies (Lemon meringue pie and the 'Twin Peaks' cherry pie). It's reccomend to add an egg. I'm a bit bored making dough like this, so next time I'll try something new. My big fail this time was to much butter (hah! Julia Child was wrong!;) and I had to add more flour. As a result I got not the best dough and it was not enough of it to cover up the pie (and make a finger from a dough!). I tried to make a new one, but I got a bad luck. So in the end (after destroying the kitchen and te whole Universe;) I decide to bake a classic pie, which can be also super good and tasty and it'll look nice on every table, no matter what is the celebration connected with.
Don't forget to put the dough into a fridge for ~30 minutes.




Love this photo:))My hands look enormous here! Just like hands of some butcher.

Look how happy Finn is!:)) Just like a twin of a famous Grumpy Cat!:))


While dough is chilling in a fridge - let's prepare the filling.
Cut meat in a pieces, they don't have to be super small or huge, just medium, normal pieces. And do not throw an onion into a trash! We will need it.


Self-control: level 80.



'Can't...control...myself...must..eat...'
Finn was completely adorable:)) Like always;)



Roll the dough in the baking dish and put it into a preheated to 200° C oven for 15 minutes. And continue making filling for a pie.


When we were cooking chicken, we put an onion to it. So, a big time of a boiled onion came:) Take your food processor or just a small blender and mix onion with..milk. It should be blended really good. A big surprise for me was the smell of this unusual duet: it was good and creamy!
Melt butter in a pan.


Add milk+onion mix. Add 1 tbsp of a flour. Stir it all the time!


Add chicken. Mix it good. Boil for 10 minutes.


Add filling on a crust. Then - make a cover. Just like I said - it can be covered pie, just like I wanted to do, but because of stupid fortune I had to change my plans:)



I added green onion on it and also I 'oiled' the top of a pie with an egg.



Aaaand....


Result!



Very good pie. And, whet I really like is that the meat in a pie is not dry! The filling is delicious!
Worth time!


Post a Comment

0 Comments