Spinach & Feta Pie (Spanakopita)


This pie was on my list for a long time, but somehow as much as you think about doing something, the less you actually do. So one day I finally decided to bake this absolutely simple and delicious pie.

So for the pie, we need:
your favorite dough (filo dough or simple dough like this one)
250-300 g  crumbled feta cheese
200-250 g cottage cheese or ricotta
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
500 g spinach (~2 bunches)
olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten for filling and 1 (optional) for the pie top
salt, pepper

Preparation Time
25 minutes (without dough preparation)

Baking Time
30 minutes

Hard?
No

Every time I make my own dough. It's not because I don't trust those selling ones, but for me, pies have to be 100% mine and genuine. And I like that weird and funny dough making process. Yummy chemistry:)
I described the process in details here.



We don't need much time to prepare the filling for the pie.
Preheat olive oil, add onion and garlic. In a few minutes add spinach. Stir everything for 2-3 minutes. When spinach is limp, remove from heat and let it cool.


Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. You will need it pretty soon.
And now it's time for cheese.
In a bowl mix cottage cheese (or ricotta f.e.) and feta. Then add beaten eggs.


Add spinach. Mix it diligently.


As a result, you'll beautifully green mass.


And then everything is more than simple:)




I used one beaten egg for the top.


Voilà! 




Spinach and feta pie is a very good idea if you don't have much time for cooking/baking. It's for lunch or dinner, picnic time etc. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments