About German Breakfast and Recent Life Changes

  Over the past one and a half years, a lot of things happened: I left my job, bought a simple camera, started to take some photos for stocks, quietly married, move from Lviv to Bremen, managed to bring over my cats here and continue my daily struggle of searching myself. That was my version of "Gone With the Wind" briefly :)



  I didn't update my blog with some personal posts for quite a while. But from now on, I want to write about my immigrant life and the environment I live in. How does everything work in Germany, how difficult (or not) is to teach the German language, what is cool, and what is not, about myths and realities, about family, random days, holidays etc. I will not have a specific structure, I will allow myself to act freely and trust my intuition. 



  Because Films & Pies blog is still somehow food-orientated, the first story from my new location will be about German breakfast (but mostly about bread). As a bonus, you can have a peak on my gorgeous balcony hahaha:)



  If someone would ask me, what Germans love the most, I would say: bread. And I understand why: it is unspeakably delicious here. A massive variety of buns, rolls, croissants... You can buy them at a bakery or supermarket, ready to eat, half-finished and even canned. With gluten and gluten-free, for those who are forever on a diet, with seeds, chocolate, raisins, glazed, with cinnamon aaaaand ... I could continue f o r e v e r. 




  Bread is eaten (mostly)  twice a day: for breakfast and for supper (which is also called "evening bread", I'm not kidding). In the morning, even on Sunday, many residents go to the nearest bakery and buy buns for breakfast. Everyone love and eat it. And it's regardless of status and income level. I certainly love pastry, but not so much. I would never wake up at 7 am on a weekend to buy some buns.
  It's beautiful that in supermarkets you can find semi-baked buns and finish the baking at home. The fact that you buy canned raw buns or croissants and don't mess up with a dough is absolutely incredible. 

  However, on Sunday, I like to go to the flea market in the morning, come home around 12 pm and bring a fresh pastry for brunch.

  Traditional German breakfast contains:
  • fresh pastries
  • different additional starters: butter, egg salad, pâté etc.
  • cheese and meat (ham, bacon...)
  • eggs
  • muesli, yogurt
  • marmalade, Nutella, peanut butter
  • coffee 

  My husband (I'll write just J. in the future posts) and I like to have oatmeal with honey and nuts or eggs with fresh tomatoes and french toasts for breakfast. Sometimes I cook poached eggs, sausages or pancakes. Usually, when I'm homesick, I cook buckwheat and make a salad with cheese and cucumber for myself.




  However, on Sunday, everything is quite traditional. Boiled or fried eggs, fresh salad, cheese, tomatoes, a  bit of ham, avocado, marmalade, 2 cups of coffee and lots of bread.

  Germans love to drink a lot of coffee, but that is a separate topic to discuss. Every morning, J. pours into himself two cups of coffee as a fuel. As for me, I drink two or three cups of a homemade latte a day. I'm not very picky: lazy coffee from the french-press is my everything :)


   Many families have a tradition to invite coffee and a cake, exactly at 15:00 on weekends or holidays. About this strange, and not always logical for me tradition I will tell somewhat later.


  This elf in the flea market first lived in Lviv for two years, and now settled on a new balcony in Bremen.

  What do you eat for breakfast? :)

Post a Comment

5 Comments

  1. Вітаю зі змінами. Напиши пост про те, чим ти там займаєшся.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Дякую! Напишу якось:)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your quiet wedding! I wish you to find home in Germany with J ;)
    I got used to see a lot of bread in german hotels, and a lot of bakeries on the streets (open from 7am or even earlier) but never fully realized that locals really eat them so much

    And my usual breakfast is: sandwiches with cheese and milk with corn cereals (now that i’m breastfeeding it’s replaced with porridge), sometimes omelette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Стасічка:)) I'm so happy for you and your little nugget:))

      Starting from August, I eat bread only on my cheat day ahahaha:)))

      Your breakfast sounds good, omelette made me think about home.

      xoxoxo


      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this very informative and entertaining content. Hope you could visit our breafast bakery in the future 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment