American Horror Story: Cupcakes for Bette and Dot



I've waited for quite long time to finally bake my first cupcakes. And because I'm not a big fan of that kind of desert, the only thing I was doing is putting paper forms from one place to another. But when I saw pink (but very and very dangerous in the show!) cupcakes in "American Horror Story: Freak Show", I thought that this is it. This is the moment when I finally should try to bake them.


I decided to make lemon cupcakes instead of simple vanilla and to use natural food coloring about which I'm gonna tell later. 
I think these cupcakes could be a great idea for some AHS fan party, no?!:)
And today's Friday, the 13th, which I find a little bit symbolic:)


So, let's start:)

For the cupcakes you need:

2 cups Flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
2 Eggs
250-300 g Unsalted Butter
60 g sugar 
~50 ml Milk
~50 ml Sour Cream
2 tsp Lemon Zest1-2 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon JuiceVanilla Extract 
Salt 
Walnuts (optionally)

Frosting: 

200 g Butter  (room temperature)
1,5 cups of Sugar Powder

1-2 tbsp Raspberry or Cranberry jam (but better to take juice) or pink food coloring, which you can buy in a shop
As a natural pink coloring, I took raspberry jam. Actually, it's much harder to use natural coloring, rather a typical one, but it totally worth it. See later why.

Hard?
No

Preparation time:
30 min

Baking time:
20 min 

All in all:
1,5 hour with chilling and serving


Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare about 12 cupcake forms. Set aside.
In a bowl cream together eggs, sugar, and butter. Make sure they're incorporated well.


Next step is adding milk, zest, lemon juice, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix it again (you can use a simple whisk or a mixer if you want).


In other bowl mix flour with baking powder and salt. Add it to wet ingredients. Mix it carefully and try not to over mix.
Note: the dough has to be not liquid, but not to thick. It has to fall from the spoon but keep the shape.



Use a big spoon, fill the cupcake forms and bake them for 20-25 minutes.
Tip: the best way to check are your cupcakes ready is to insert a toothpick in a baking cupcake. If it comes out clean - cupcakes are ready to be taken from the oven.

Here are my first ones. Funny ones.
Cracks are exactly because my dough was not thick enough. But it's easy to hide them under the frosting;)


While cupcakes are chilling, let's prepare frosting.


If you're using standard food coloring - all is clear hear, but if you want to make a small experiment and use a natural one, as I did, there's few things that are important to remember:
1. Butter has to be room temperature.
2. Add juice or jam in small portions and mix it with sugar powder and butter really carefully. If cream would be over mixed - the butterfat and water from juice/jam can separate and as a result, you'll get a bad looking cream. 
I decided to use raspberry jam as a food coloring, because it made lemon cupcakes taste even better. Nothing can compare with rich raspberry flavor.
Later I decide to make another small experiment and put a little bit of ground walnut. 


And finally, here they are:


Tastes like a sweet-sweet cloud:)
I hope you enjoyed reading, and maybe my recipe will inspire you to bake some cupcakes:)


My review of 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' read here.

Post a Comment

1 Comments

Leave a comment